Alright, you got your doctor’s true blessing to start exercising.
Well, your next step is to see exactly what your level of physical conditioning is. After all, you need to understand where you are now to get where you are going. Fortunately, it is quite simple to determine your current level of fitness.
There are several ways you can go here.
First, you can hire a kinesiologist. This health professional assesses “human movement and performance and its rehabilitation and management to maintain, rehabilitate or enhance movement and performance.” That is quite a mouthful, and all it means is that a professional kinesiologist can quickly determine your exact level of physical fitness.
One other simple way to see exactly how fit you are requires briskly walking 1 mile (1.6 km).
You are going to record exactly how long it takes you to cover that 1 mile. Warm-up for 5 or 10 minutes first. Then walk 1 mile and time yourself. Walk as fast as you can without running, and then compare your results to those below for someone in their 50s.
Men over 50
- Poor health – Over 16 minutes and 30 seconds
- Fair health – 15 minutes 13 seconds to 16:30
- Average fitness level – 14:25 to 15:12
- Good shape – 13:24 – 14:24
- Outstanding – under 13:24
Women over 50
- Poor health – Over 18 minutes and 06 seconds
- Fair health – 17:01 to 18:06
- Average fitness level – 15:37 to 17:00
- Good shape – 14:42 to 15:36
- Outstanding – under 14:42
Got it? Great. Armed with this information, you know whether to start off with a beginner, mid-level or advanced physical fitness plan.